Poor Connor is sick :(
He was finally sleeping better and then Friday night he woke up screaming at 11:15. I couldn't get him to calm down so I warmed a bottle up for him and he ended up not eating and falling back asleep. Before I could fall asleep he woke up again and was up until close to 2:00. It was a rough night to say the least!
We noticed Saturday he was pretty fussy, but just chalked it up to his teeth he has coming in up top.
Saturday evening after Connor woke up from napping on me, I changed his diaper and after I finished, he started to have a long, unusual seizure. Connor is currently on 2 seizure meds., but he still has seizures almost daily. This one was different though. We got it on video (unfortunately this isn't the first time we've needed to do this and it's very helpful to doctors). Connor actually started to spit up during the seizure so we rolled him on his side until he came out of it. He also started to get really hot...his skin felt like it was on fire. Afterwards he was really fussy and we decided to take him to the MUSC After Hours Center.
When we got there I started telling them why we were there and they immediately called a nurse out to come get him. Matt and Connor went back while I finished getting checked in. By the time I got back there (not even 2 minutes later), Connor had been weighed, was on the table with a doctor checking him out and 3 nurses in the room. It's pretty sad when you and the nurses recognize each other (since we're frequent visitors there).
Anyway, the whole time we spent there was just a huge blur. They took Connor's temp (rectally, which like all babies, he just loved). Gave him some motrin and checked his ears. One of these things in particular, I believe it was the checking of his ears, really pissed him off and there was no coming back. Poor thing screamed the rest of our time there. There was no calming him down.
Connor's ears didn't look great and since he had been on antibiotics and had a shot of rocephin (an "atomic bomb" of antibiotics) the week before, the doctor wasn't confident this was all due to his ears so she felt he needed to go via ambulance to the ER downtown. Considering we'd been down this road before, Matt went home to get more formula, phone chargers, and our medicine and I rode downtown with Connor in the ambulance.
It was really hard to fill the EMS worker in on Connor. It's hard to go over all of his issues anyway, but add on the fact that I'm leaving a doctors office in an ambulance...it was very emotional. The good news was we didn't have to turn on the sirens once our whole way downtown (yay!). Once we got there, there were 2 nurses waiting for us in our room. They quickly swabbed Connor's nose and changed him into a gown. Connor fell asleep on me and we sat and waited to find out what was next.
They decided to take some blood and go ahead and hook up an IV just in case. Connor was a great bleeder and the nurses commented on how nice it was to have parents supportive of that...ha! We got his IV in and we tried to calm him down, but ended up laying him on the bed and he passed out. Poor little guy was just worn out!
We heard back from neurology and luckily they didn't want to hook him up to an EEG, especially since we had an appointment already scheduled in a little over a week. They told us if he had another unusual seizure not to come in or call unless it was over 3 minutes or if there was less than 5 minutes in between.
We also heard back that the blood work looked good...yay! His white blood cell count was a little high (16), but nothing like it was back in December when he was in the ER. His electrolytes looked good too. We didn't find out the results of the nasal swab, but were assured that the results would get sent back to After Hours and we could call them the next day to find out the results.
We were cleared to go! They did give us some numbing drops for Connor's ears (they put some in while we were there). We also were told to alternate Tylenol & Motrin every 4 hours for the next 24 hours. They got the IV out and we came home to feed Connor and put him to bed.
We called on Sunday to find out the results of the nasal swab and there was evidently some confusion and the swab was never run. So, we had to go back up to the after hours for him to get reswabbed. Connor stayed home yesterday (Monday). He had a good morning, but as the day progressed, he got worse and worse, fussier and fussier (just like he was on Sunday). We called about the swab results and he has not 1, not 2, but 3 viruses! Poor guy! He has the adenovirus, coronavirus, and rhinovirus.
Today has been a much better day. I'm hoping we're on the way to feeling better!
Here's some pictures from yesterday morning...still able to get some smiles!